The Pirates will be sellers at the trade deadline, we already know this. But who is gone? I think it's safe to assume that none of the kids will be trade bait, so we'll rule them out immediately. Let's take a look.
1. Ryan Doumit - Probably the most likely to be gone as he seems to have already run out his welcome with the Pirates. His defense is awful, his effort has been poor and chances are, some contending team in need of an extra bat will be more than interested in his services - especially an AL team that could use him as a DH.
Possibility of a Trade: 85-90%.
2. Octavio Dotel - Should be without much question, the most productive player the Pirates will trade later this year. After a rough start, he's rebounded well and proved his worth as a closer. But with Evan Meek waiting right there to inherit the job, this shouldn't be a difficult decision for NH either. It would be nearly miraculous if he was still with the team after the trade deadline.
Possibility of a Trade: 90-99%
3. Zach Duke - Nobody needs to be told twice that Duke hasn't had anywhere near his best season. He's been getting hit hard all season long and doesn't seem to have any long term place on the team, as his contract expires after this season. But the question is, will anybody want him? The potential list of candidates is fairly slim - the team needs to have a slot open at the No. 5 starter, a need for a lefty, and needs to be an NL team as someone like Duke would get hammered weekly in the DH-friendly AL.
Possibility of a Trade: 45-75%
4. Ryan Church - JR has apparently been trying to build up his trade value by playing him - despite his scattered decent performances. But let's put it this way, if NH found a way to trade Eric Hinske last season when he wasn't playing a whole lot either and still get a halfway decent return, he can do the same with Church. Inevitably, there will be a team that suffers an injury or finds themselves in need of a 4th outfielder for a playoff push.
Possibility of a Trade: 75-89%
Potential Buyers: ???
5. Paul Maholm - The Pirates best trade asset who would certainly command the most in return, his numbers would actually be quite sparking if he didn't have rotten luck - the bullpen has blown a number of games where he's left with a lead. There's no question the value he possesses, the only question is if the Pirates want to part with him or can get an appropriate haul.
Possibility of a Trade: 20-40%
Potential Buyers: Any team needing a quality left-handed pitcher or end of the rotation man
Who is most likely to be traded this summer?
Ryan Doumit (36 votes)
Octavio Dotel (116 votes)
Zach Duke (4 votes)
Ryan Church (14 votes)
Paul Maholm (3 votes)
A combination of 2-4 (44 votes)
All of them will be traded (7 votes)
Someone else (9 votes)
233 total votes