Maybe it's just me, but over the past week or so it seems like the discourse on Bucs Dugout is getting a lot more hostile. Don't misunderstand: I like good debate as much as anyone, and I've learned an awful lot about baseball from following along and participating in the discussions here. But lately, it just seems like every little issue turns into an excuse for BD posters to rip and insult those who have a different point of view.
I'm no idealist. I know this is the internet. I don't expect everyone to hold hands and play nice. But Bucs Dugout has always maintained a high level of intelligent discourse here that far exceeds most baseball websites (most websites period, for that matter) and that's a huge part of what makes this site great. I'd hate to see BD become yet another internet mudslinging club. We already have the PG blog for that.
Maybe it would help to remember that there are some things we can all agree on. For instance . . .
- We can all agree that PNC Park is awesome.
- We can all agree that the current club has some nice young talent, but needs more help to become a consistently winning team.
- We can all agree that Neal Huntingdon has made some good choices and also some pretty dubious choices.
- We can all agree that we would really have preferred to have Current Jose Bautista on our team rather than Past Jose Bautista.
- We can all agree that the Brewers are a bunch of mouth-breathing invertebrates.
Again, I love the debate here, and I especially love that we can all care so much about every aspect of our team, even after all the losing we've faced. I'm just tired of seeing every thread turned into an us-versus-them bloodbath. Let's remember that we're all on the same side, relatively speaking. Thanks.