It's a day off so I figure you folks will need something to talk about this morning.
There has been a lot of talk about the farm system recently. Most of the talk concentrates on the top 10, which hasn't performed too well, so I've decided to focus on the outsiders who have. I hope this enlightens and/or inspires discussion.
In no particular order, let's begin...
1. Adalberto Santos - 2010 22nd round - age 22 season - A+
This dude has split time between 2B and OF while putting up a line of .309/.387/.466 with 24/28 SB
I've never seen this man play but he's putting up impressive numbers in his first full season at an advanced level.
2. Brandon Cumpton - 2010 9th round - 22yo - A/A+
115 IP 4.11FIP and 4K/BB
He doesn't have exceptional/strikeout stuff but he is succeeding in his first full season action. Outstanding control numbers.
3. Jeff Inman - 2009 12th round - 23yo A+
2.25 ERA 1.00 WHIP 28IP -
Very nice ground ball pitcher with good middle relief potential
4. Ryan Beckman - 2009 18th round - 21yo - A+
2.68 FIP 45IP 42K
Another promising arm.
5. Quincy Latimore - 2007 4th round - still just 22 in AA
.712 OPS 13HR.
post all-star break .315/.361/.517 .878 OPS
He's still pretty young and can hit the ball a long way. He should repeat Altoona next year and be at a fine age. A 2012 breakout candidate for sure
6. Jared Hughes - 2006 4th round - 26yo - AAA
2.53 FIP from the bullpen with a 9.64K/9 in 33IP
Throws mid to upper 90's from the pen, a promising pen candidate for 2012.
7. Zach Fuesser - 2009 34th round - 20yo - A
3.00 ERA 96IP 3.36K/BB
8. Brooks Pounders - 2009 2nd round - 20yo - A
9.61K/9 1.14 WHIP
9. Casey Sadler - 2010 25th round - just turned 21 - A
2.53 ERA 1.09 WHIP 3.07K/BB
10. Jason Townsend - 2010 31st round - 22yo - A
2.40 ERA 45IP
11. Orlando Castro - int FA - 19yo - GCL-A
47IP 2.80 FIP
Don't forget about me:
Gorkys Hernandez (still just 23) hitting .285/.736OPS at AAA
Tim Alderson (2007 1st round pick, still just 22) 3.82 ERA in 64 AA IP
Alex Presley - 25yo (in case you forgot) .330 on the year.