Typically I dont post much on Bucs Dugout because I dont have much to add to the conversation, but I felt compelled to comment on the past 3 days I spent in Bradenton/Pirate City.
1. Probably the only thing I'm tired of hearing is "its only spring training (related to small sample size)." Matt Hague
is currently the hottest hitter on the team. And he has power. Dude is relaxed in the box right now. Not sure how he doesnt make this team, especially with the Spring that Pedro has had.
2. Probably the only thing that I got tired of watching was some imposter of a 3rd base coach (Leyda) keep getting guys hung up on the bases. I gotta give guys that are on the bubble or trying to make an impression like Evans, Navarro, McGehee a lot of credit for not losing their mind in the dugout. The frustration was evident. Old guy needs to move on. I lost count of how many times the Bucs ran themselves out of an inning this week- and it wasnt just Josh Harrison
3. I would concur w/the rumors that the Bucs are looking for a catcher and lrp. Barajas is hitting the ball well, but I just cant imagine a scenario where he catches 100+ games. Rod has 3 things in common with me: fat, old, and were catchers at one time. Wow, did I see a lot of bad left-handed relief pitching. Reyes and Slaten cant help Altoona. Moskos appears to be best option since Wilson was sent down, which is not good.
4. Just about every kid at Pirate City was likable and fan-friendly. Some of the minor league guys that stood out were Nick Kingham, Jarek Cunningham
, Jose Osuna, and Clayton Holmes. To me it seemed that Matt Curry
was a younger version of Steve Pearce
...at best. Didnt see any pop in the bat of Tony Sanchez
but he might be the best defensive catcher in the entire organization already.
5. Disappointed that I didnt see Alderson or Allie pitch, but Tim's recent reports are encouraging. It is comical to see so many 6'6'' kids not playing basketball in one place.
6. I love to eat so I wanted to throw a shoutout to the Lucky Pelican in Lakewood Ranch and Charley's Steakhouse in Tampa for fantastic culinary experiences. On the opposite side of the dining spectrum, Mixon's fruit farm next to Pirate City should just stick to selling grapefruits.
7. Lastly, I thought K Correia's start was pretty decent and I'm not completely down on him like the rest of the planet. Just maybe he pitches like an all-star this year...
This is a FanPost and does not necessarily reflect the views of the managing editor (Charlie) or SB Nation. FanPosts are written by Bucs Dugout readers.