Here are some observations from tonight's game which I attended and otherwise. It's kind of a hodge-podge of material but it represents many of the things bouncing around in my head lately.
1) Crowd was nicely sized but really pretty tame. Granted, bucs didn’t give em much to cheer about but aside from a mediocre cheer for Bedard after the 7th and a wave that managed to go around maybe 4 or 5 times, it was mostly dead all night.
2) It seems like ages ago Meek was our closer of the future doesn’t it? He looked pretty flammable in his appearance, and the stadium gun had him around 90-92 the entire time. He got ONE fastball up to 95 and it was way outta the zone. I will say though, props because one inning when he went out to catch w/Presley he was dancing with the stadium music – dude can shake his booty and obviously has a sense of humor.
3) Soriano looks like a great trade candidate – if not for the Bucs then someone. Guys hitting .270 w/18HRs and 60RBI and single-handedly beat the Bucs tonight. Could be as simple as an AJ Burnett like “give us $ and you can have him” – wouldn’t he look good in our lineup?
4) Manny’s BBQ is still the best quality/price combo in Pittsburgh stadiums. I got the “pulled pork sliders platter” for 9$ – 3 mini-buns with a generous portion of pork going across, sides of cole slaw & baked beans (w/sliced hot dog in them no less!). Compare that to a run-of-the-mill Primanti’s that’s gonna run you 10+ and that’s without fries, can’t beat Manny’s.
5) Bedard’s back. How quickly we forget this guy was a legitimate ace when healthy just a few years ago. It’s not like he’s ever had blazing stuff – he just knows how to pitch. Who would’ve said at the beginning of the year that Bedard would be the guy in the rotation most on the hot seat (morton doesn’t count haha)? It seems like the extended time off around the break did him some good – he was lights out tonight and our rotation looks solid solid solid.
6) Clement has earned a shot up here. I know we’ve got nowhere to put him and there’s no indication that he’s ever going to be anything more than a AAAA player, but a couple months ago when we had the worst offense in the league we would’ve already given him a shot. He just continues to rake rake rake in AAA. It’s a good problem to have – we don’t have room for guys in AAA that seem to be hitting the proverbial glass ceiling.
7) Perhaps most worrisome, is how much the average yinzer seems to be growing attached to Barmes. After a couple plays at short that honestly like, every major league starting shortstop has to make, you hear people sitting all around you saying stuff like, “man he’s automatic!” “barmes is so solid out there with the glove” blah blah blah. The fact that your starting SS is getting pinch-hit in the 9th for Josh Harrison should say it all right there. He’s had nearly 2/3 of a season to produce and all we’ve seen is a .200 slap hitter who can’t count to 4 (never walks? was that a stretch or did anyone get that?). Mercer might not be much better but you gotta believe he can hit .220 right now. For that matter D’Arnaud might hit .220 but at least steal some bases when he gets on.
I really enjoy reading everybody’s opinions and input on BD – I’m just purging all my thoughts out into one place now, sorry if this is me rambling or a fanpost nobody cares to read, if it is just mosey along!
This is a FanPost and does not necessarily reflect the views of the managing editor (Charlie) or SB Nation. FanPosts are written by Bucs Dugout readers.