On Sunday morning I heard Grant Paulson's interview of Tyler Glasnow on XM 89 MLB Radio's "Minors and Majors". Some interesting stuff:
- Weight is up to 225; 6'7" 225 lbs.
- Heading to Pirate City early to get started.
- Will start throwing in the next week. To now he's been running and lifting 4 days per week.
- When he came out of high school he was at 86 on the radar gun. Pirate coaches have transformed him from a "drop and drive" pitcher to one who tries to get on top the ball and throwing on a downward plane. This year he sat 93-96 and touched 99.
- Though he like the strikeouts he gets no bigger thrill pitching than when he goes 2-0 and a hitter and gets them to roll over on a change-up and hit a weak grounder. Threw the change a little in 2012 and a lot in 2013. Said he's got a good feel for the pitch.
- Does not long toss any longer than 120'. Understands that some like to develop arm strength with long toss but much more important to him to stay on top the ball.
- Gave WV (A) pitching coach a lot of credit for his development last year.