FanGraphs has released its Pirates ZiPS projections for next season, which are always a fun read when they come out each winter. Some highlights:
- Andrew McCutchen is projected to by the Pirates’ most productive player, with a 4.1 fWAR. Starling Marte follows close behind at 3.8.
- The system doesn’t foresee a breakout for Gregory Polanco, who’s projected to hit .259/.322/.420.
- Austin Meadows and Kevin Newman are projected to be pretty good players right out of the gate.
- On the pitching side, the system pegs Glasnow for a 3.60 ERA and 146 strikeouts in 122.1 innings, which I’d certainly take.
- Lisalverto Bonilla’s projection looks interesting: 95 innings, 91 strikeouts and a 4.07 ERA.
- Some fun comps, including several that compare various Pirates to Pirates players from the past: McCutchen —> Dale Murphy; Polanco —> Von Hayes; Meadows —> Rondell White; Newman —> Ronny Cedeno; Josh Bell —> Orlando Merced; Jose Osuna —> Mike Morse; Jameson Taillon —> Jon Lieber; Drew Hutchison —> Kevin Hart; and Juan Nicasio —> Brian Boehringer.