South Korea has cut Jung Ho Kang from its World Baseball Classic squad amidst Kang’s off-field problems, Jee-Ho Yoo of Yonhap News writes. The team’s manager, In-Sik Kim, had previously said he was considering the move.
"As we all know, Kang has had some issues," Kim said at a press conference following the meeting. "So our coaching staff made this call (to drop him)."
In addition, police in Seoul say they are seeking an indictment for Kang for the December incident in which he allegedly left the scene of a DUI crash. They are also seeking indictment of a friend of his who allegedly falsely claimed that Kang had not been the one behind the wheel.
It appears, then, that Kang’s off-field issues are catching up to him. The DUI was his third, and he was also caught up in sexual assault allegations last summer in Chicago. The Pirates are offering what sounds like conditional support for Kang, however.
"We remain focused on getting him the help he needs personally, as well as helping him prepare to compete this season," Pirates spokesman Brian Warecki said Tuesday.
Kang will be required to appear before a treatment panel, if he hasn’t already. It’s unclear whether he’ll seek treatment.