Western Pennsylvania high schools are sending more players to the college and pro ranks, highlighted by first-round picks from the WPIAL in three straight years, writes local high school scribe Mike White.
In addition to No. 4 overall pick Brendan McKay (University of Louisville/Blackhawk HS), J.J. Matijevic (Arizona/Norwin) was taken in the second round.
Here are some links regarding the local professional club:
- Jordy Mercer has been hitting quite well the past month.
- Josh Harrison is becoming a target for pitchers.
- Ken Rosenthal says the Pirates are likely to trade Andrew McCutchen.
- The Pirates’ starters are learning on the job.
- Francisco Cervelli has been diagnosed with an unspecified “acute-on-chronic” condition.
- Chad Kuhl says he isn’t trying to throw harder.
Around the NL Central
- The Brewers are rebuilding without bottoming out.
- Eric Thames has hit a rough patch.
- The Cubs have demoted Kyle Schwarber to Triple-A.
- The case for rebuilding the Cardinals
- There’s a little hope for the Reds’ rotation.