The Pirates have another road game, this time in Fort Myers against Boston with the usual start time of 1:05pm. Chad Kuhl starts. Some of the competitors for bullpen roles are slated to follow, specifically Kyle Crick, Josh Smoker and Edgar Santana. Casey Sadler is also scheduled to pitch. The game is available through an exclusive webcast and gameday audio.
A few news items:
- A.J. Schugel hopes to be back on the mound in a few days.
- Pirates Prospects is reporting (sub. req’d) that the Pirates will field two teams in the Dominican Summer League this year. It’s hardly a surprise, as the team has signed close to 50 international players in the current signing period. Plus they’ll have players who return to the DSL from last year.
- The 19-year-old (he’ll be 20 shortly) outfielder the Pirates recently signed out of Mexico, Fabricio Macias, is in camp now. Most of the position players haven’t reported yet and most of the ones who are around are mid-level guys. That may suggest that Macias will have a chance to make one of the full-season rosters. Starting off at Bradenton would be nice for him.
- The camp roster, still very incomplete, lists Hunter Owens as “C/3B.” He had a nice year at the plate last year, albeit as a 23-year-old in low class A. He’d probably be a long shot to go very far as an outfielder or third baseman, but he’d have a good bat for a catcher.
- P2 has posted video on Instagram of Will Craig. You won’t recognize him.